Please visit our Travel Updates page for current COVID-19 information. 

The Life of a Guide


Crew, Safari Endeavour

On Friday, we anchored at Port Houghton to start our adventures for the day. I headed down the hallway to prepare for my all day “yak-whack” (a kayak bushwhack combination adventure) when I ran into one of the stewards, Justin.

He asked if I wanted to hear a joke and of course, I did.

“What did one raindrop say to the other?” He said with a smile, “Two’s company but three’s a cloud!”

Obviously it was going to be a good day.

As I walked into the galley, I noticed that the clouds were almost entirely covering the surrounding mountains. The rain continued pouring down as I gathered our to-go lunches from our wonderful chef Mike.

Fog rolling through Alaska

The group gathered on the Aft 300, covered from head to toe in rain gear. We readied our kayaks and set off into the fog. Six brightly colored kayaks amidst the greys and blacks of the fog that had engulfed us.

Kayaking in Alaska

As we paddled past the Robert and Crow Islands, two adult bald eagles and two juvenile bald eagles allowed us to get close and take a good look at them. We marveled at the size and beauty of these American birds.

Bald Eagle in Alaska

As we were arriving at our lunch/bushwhack destination, Guide Ellie called us on the radio and invited us to a beach party. Her all day yak-whack had just finished lunch at Negro creek and they were kind enough to help pull our group up on shore.

Once we pulled our kayaks in, we parted ways with Ellie and her group and went into the woods to find a little shelter to enjoy our well-deserved lunches. Towards the end of our meal, the other group passed us by and we took a group picture to commemorate the largest group of people we had been on land with all season.

After packing up after lunch, we followed a bear trail over to the other side of Negro creek and back again to our kayaks.

As if the morning was not incredible enough, we saw several whales lunge feeding as we readied our kayaks for our journey back to the Safari Endeavor.

Bubble-Net Feeding in Southeast Alaska

For a while, the whales came up to breathe every few minutes as we kayaked in a parallel line to their movement.

It was almost as if they were escorting us on our journey.

Then, we saw something we had not seen all week – sunshine. The clear and sunny skies lasted for the rest of our journey home.

The day had truly been an adventure.

Loading Conversation